Friday, April 12, 2013

Painting in Celo


Five painters gathered this afternoon to paint in Celo, NC.  Originally we had planned to paint along the river, but river access was difficult where we were hoping to paint.  Fortunately, we were very near another artist's studio that has nice views.  We spread out and all painted different scenes.  The South Toe River, where we originally planned to paint, is just across the road from the studio.  That meant that painting the river was still an option.  

Last night, wicked storms moved through the mountains, leaving more than an inch of rain in its path.  The river was high and moving fast.  It caught my attention as we drove by, so I chose to paint there.  I've painted moving water before, but not moving as fast as this water was.  About three-quarters of the way through my painting, I was thinking maybe it would have been much more simple to paint something that held still!  

Here is a photo of my painting (I totally forgot to take a photo of it at the scene) and then more photos of our group.  

oil painting by susan garriques

oil painting in progress by Sandra Gates

oil painting in progress by Nancy Wood



Katherine hard at work

oil painting by Kathleen Turczyn

Kathleen at work


Thanks so much for taking time to read our blog and look at our paintings. If you are an artist and would like to paint with us, just send me an email and I'll get you on our list.

Paint first!
susan

No comments:

Post a Comment